Our K-Way ambassadors and trusty gear testers, AJ Calitz & Nicolette Griffioen recently put our most innovative K-Way Race Shell Jacket to the ultimate test on a recent training trip.
AJ's review of the K-Way Race Shell Jacket
Facebook reminded me yesterday that during 2013 I was testing an experimental prototype jacket on Lions Head in some foul weather. It's hard to believe that three years later, pretty much to the day, K-Way would launch their new Race Shell
Countless hours have been spent on perfecting this jacket, the flagship of the K-Way foul weather running range. During testing I ran in everything from pouring rain, snow, hail, howling winds and even a bicycle ride or two. To say it performed faultlessly is not praise enough.
Some of the features of the K-Way Race Shell Jacket
1. The material is extremely breathable, 10 000mm to be exact. So, no matter how wet you are on the outside, you will remain dry and comfortable inside.
2. The stretchy fabric means that you can reach, bend and react to whatever the trails throw at you without being restricted in any way.
3. If you fall, the stretch fabric is less likely to tear, ensuring longevity.
4. An elastic-lined hood means that no wind and rain gets into the jacket, no matter what the weather is like. The hood can be adjusted and customized by a velcro strap.
5. The jacket folds into its own hood. When packed, it's the size of a grapefruit.
6. Elasticated cuffs and bottom ensure no updrafts of icy wind and water.
7. Air vents at the back of the jacket ensure that you do not overheat.
I have had the privilege of sampling gear from a great multitude of brands from all over the world. The K-Way Race Shell is miles ahead of the pack. It has become an indispensable part of my trail running and mountain gear.
Don’t turn around when the weather turns for the worse. #GearUpGetOut!
Nicolette’s review of the K-Way Race Shell Jacket
1. There's enough space for a warm layer underneath, giving you the option to dress up and down depending on your training needs.
2. It fits well over a hydration pack, but is not too bulky.
3. Body length and sleeve lengths are perfect for optimal coverage from the elements, especially the wind.
4. It has easy to use zips and a good sized waterproof phone pocket.
5. Spacious, elasticated hood assists in covering up from the wind/elements.
6. Comfortable elasticated wrist cuffs to block out rain/wind.
7. Awesome colours and general appearance.
8. Properly waterproof. Yay!
9. A hood tie-back is useful in windy conditions to avoid flapping that can become annoying when you run.