We’re going to let you in on a secret: your dad doesn’t need another tie, bath soap, or pair of funny socks. Great dads deserve a greater time outdoors. And to get more quality time in the fresh air with family and friends, he needs the right gear and dad tools. Fathers come in all shapes and sizes, and they’ve all got a different take on how they want to spend their free time.
Here are six different types of dads, some ideas for dadventures for every category, and practical-but-fun gift solutions. So, here’s to rewarding the man who taught you plenty of life lessons. If you choose the right adventure and Father’s Day gift, not only will you make your dad happier, but you’ll also get some more quality time with your pops!
Buying a gift for a tech-savvy dad can be tricky because if you aren’t up to date with the latest trends and gizmo releases, you could be investing in a dud. But don’t worry, if your dad is one of these trendy first-adopters that loves having the latest and greatest gadgets and gizmos, then we’ve got you covered. Some of these investments can be a little costly, so you’ll need to save up or share the costs with friends and family.
Recommended Adventures: How about a fun Segway Tour? There are different options around the country, and each wheeled option has its own adventure flavour. You could also try Laser Clay Pigeon Shooting, paintball, a flight on a Gyrocopter or Microlight, go-karting, or you can buy him a lesson in drone skills from a Drone Training Academy. If he enjoys hiking with GPS maps, get him to download this app to try some of the best trails around the country.
1. The Super Soundtrack: Your gadget dad deserves better wireless earphones for his workouts, commutes, and outdoor adventures. The Sony SP700 Wireless Earbuds are waterproof and have sound-cancelling technology too.
2. The Dad Drone: Yes, we know drones are expensive, but this potent mini-drone offers the best bang-for-buck value and gadget greatness: the DJI Spark. Invest in one of these, and your dad will stop droning on about how he wants one (sorry, dad joke).
3. The Techie Timepiece: There are hundreds of fitness tracker and smartwatch options out there (and to be fair, there are very few ‘bad’ options), but if we had to choose one that offers the best value for a techie dad, then the Garmin Venu is our choice. It’s a GPS smartwatch that’s bristling with features, but we love the battery life: up to 5 days on a single charge. If you’re looking for a cheaper option, then the Huawei Watch GT Active is your best bet.
4. The Power Partner: Your dad needs a decent battery to keep all his gadgets going, especially in these times of load shedding. This handy portable Ravpower Solar power Bank will recharge using sunlight and offers 15 000mah.
This dad is happiest with braai tongs and dad drink in his hands, even in the coldest winter temperatures, and he’s an accomplished Masterchef of anything on a grill. To make this kind of pappa happy, you’ll need to schedule some quality chop-and-wors time with him and the family, preferably somewhere with a great view too. We’ve got a few suggestions here. Remember, braaiing isn’t just for your dad’s favourite public holiday (National Braai Day, of course); it’s something that the whole family should enjoy regularly. All these products are going to help with that.
Recommended Adventures: Treat your dad to a Father’s Day (and braai) in the mountains; the Nest Hotel has a Father’s Day special that includes a craft beer tasting. Alternatively, you can book a chalet at the Swadini Resort in the Blyde River Canyon Nature Reserve for their Father’s Day special – and a similar 20% off special is available at the Phalaborwa Safari Park. Or, you can send your dad to one of the Weber Grill Academies to learn even more braai secrets (the whole family will benefit!).
1. The Braai Buddies: We’ll start with the essential: the Cadac BBQ Tongs. If he already has one of those, then what about a nifty Cadac Burger Press? Also, we know he’d love something to keep his drinks cold: we love the Kleen Kanteen Insulated Tumbler or the Ecovessel Port Mug.
2. The Cooking Chair: Outdoor cooking can be challenging work, whether it’s in your backyard or nature, so make it easier by getting your dad a comfortable chair. You’ve got two options: the Cape Union Mart Comfy Chair or the Weekender Chair (which comes with a holder for dad’s drink). Or you can skip the chairs and choose something for the whole family: we love the soft but durable Picnic Roll-Up Rug that’s easy to sit on.
3. The Chef Knife: Your dad deserves a better outdoor knife to help him with braaing and biltong cutting (for pre-braai snacks, of course). We like the Kaliber Large Biltong Folding Knife and the Opinel Explore Folding Knife.
4. The Fun Firestarter: Give your dad something that none of his braai buddies has: a lighter that’s shaped like a rifle: Pull the trigger of the Gibson Rifle Lighter, and the flame pops out the muzzle. If your dad is more old-school and wants a flint for real outdoor fire-making, we recommend the UST Spark Force.
If your dad is a carbon copy of Bear Grylls or Laird Hamilton, then you’ll need gear that helps him collect more adrenaline and outdoor stoke. He’s happiest when surfing the biggest barrels, bungee-jumping off the highest bridges, climbing the steepest faces, and racing down the most technical single-track. To get the most out of those alpha-male activities, your dad deserves the best in action cameras, fitness watches, multitools and more. Once you’ve chosen the right gift for your role model dad, then you’ll need to pick your next high-paced adventure together.
Recommended Adventures: Your rad dad has plenty of options, from high-altitude ziplining, sky diving and bungee-jumping through to rally-driving, dune buggy racing, abseiling, motorbike adventures, and driving supercars, you just need to choose the adrenaline activity that suits him best!
1. The Adventure Partner: As we’ve said above, there are hundreds of options for smartwatches and fitness trackers, but it’s a pretty easy choice for this type of dad: it’s either the Garmin Instinct Solar Fitness Watch or the Garmin Fenix 6 Solar.
2. The Ultimate Man Multi-tool: Struggling to think of a present for the man who has everything? How about a multitool that doubles up as a sleek, beautiful Swiss-made watch? This is it: the Leatherman Tread Plus Watch. Move over, MacGyver; there’s a new hero in town.
3. The Action Man Cam: Nothing beats GoPro when it comes to creating a highlights reel of your dad’s adventures. The GoPro Hero 9 Action Camera is the top of the pops, but you can opt for an earlier model like the Hero 8 to save some cash – they’re also a brilliant choice.
4. The Super Shirt: Your outdoor dad deserves a shirt that works as hard as he does. The K-Way Explorer Swerve Long Sleeve Shirt is a quick-drying, UV-protective, moisture-wicking shirt with an antimicrobial finish to keep him feeling fresh after his adventures. And it’s not just about functional features – it looks pretty good too.
It’s a world of video calls and home offices for this dad. From juggling kids, DIY, and work projects, through to cooking and cleaning, this dad is nailing the balance. However, he does get tired of being at home and loves any excuse to have an outdoor adventure.
Recommended Adventures: To say thanks to this super dad, you can treat him to some culinary treats – like a food and wine tasting at La Motte. If he’s a golfer, he'd enjoy a PMG (Play More Golf) membership, offering him cheaper rates countrywide. If he’s into mountain biking, road cycling, or running, you could get him a subscription to Bicycling or Runner’s World. Otherwise, he might be looking for a home-based workout solution, so you can try a membership to a JEFF training plan or The Movement Empire.
1. The Working Wingman: Now that home is also an office, your dad will need to spend some more time doing maintenance and fixing. Ensure he’s equipped to do anything with an epic multitool like the Leatherman Sidekick. If you’re on a tighter budget, check out the excellent Cape Union Mart Scout Multitool.
2. The Styling Sneaker: Just because your dad is spending more time in casual clothes doesn’t mean he needs to sacrifice style or comfort. The Adidas VL Court 2.1 Sneakers will make him look and feel good.
3. The Hydration Partner: Your dad will spend plenty of hours behind his desk at home, and while you can’t help him with his work, you can make sure he drinks enough water or has plenty of hot coffee or tea. The Ecovessel Aspen is not only an amazing-looking flask with triple insulation, but it’s also a handy reminder to keep hydrated. Best of all, it works just as well outdoors.
4. The Lightweight Layer: Your dad will have early starts and late nights behind his desk, and to make sure he stays comfortable and warm, treat him to a K-Way Thermalator Elite Long Sleeve Vest. Think of it as a thermal layer, but with more features and benefits. It will help him nail his work projects while performing better outdoors too.
5. The Load-shedding Answer: Don’t let Eskom derail your dad’s deadlines; here’s a smart UPS solution for offering alternative power: the VIZIA Mini DC UPS with Voltage Converter. A bright headlamp is also a great investment: Ledlenser MH3 Headlamp.
If your pops spends his off-duty time chilling to recover from a stressful job, then you’ll need gear that helps him to relax or helps to improve his quality time with family and friends. These dads love their sports watching and fresh-air downtime (especially when they’re exploring somewhere with amazing views), and these products are going to help him get the most of both.
Recommended Adventures: Cape Nature has a winter special of 40% of all self-catering and camping facilities, so there’s plenty of options. Alternatively, you could get him a Wild Card so he can access any of the South African National Parks for free. We also know your dad loves a good movie, so what about treating him to a movie at the Galileo Drive-In? Or you could try a hot air balloon safari or a sunset picnic and cruise. If he needs some pampering, you could also treat him to a spa session or full spa day.
1. The Happier Hoody: The North Face Surgent Hoody is crafted from durable, soft stretch fleece that’s super-warm but breathable too, so it’ll keep you warm without making you feel sweaty. Perfect for both couch time and sundowner sessions in the wild.
2. The Softer Slippers: Your dad shouldn’t be relaxing in running shoes or sneakers; to truly relax, you need plush, old-school slippers. Our choice: the easy slide-on Cape Union Mart Alpen Slipper or the toasty Sheep Wool Classic Slippers.
3. The Sound Investment: Suppose your dad wants some peace and quiet so he can enjoy his music, sports, or Netflix. In that case, these headphones offer excellent sound quality. clarity, and excellent noise-cancelling technology: Sony CH700 Noise Cancelling Headphones.
4. The Travel Buddies: If your dad travels a lot due to work, has a long commute, or spends his free time exploring, then there are some smart choices you can get for him. You can start with a decent flask for his coffee or tea: the Cape Union 1.5l Stainless Steel Travel Flask. Then, for extra points, you can add a Travelon Memory Gel travel pillow.
5. The Smarter Cooler Box: Ready to help your dad keep his drinks and food colder while travelling in his car or camping? The Campingaz Powerbox24 is a wise investment.